12/12/07

Iraq War Deep Thought For The Day
By: Mark W Adams


From Hiltzoy:
[N]oting that political reconciliation has not happened is not the "equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and chanting "La la la la la la la I can't HEAR you!"" It's more like this: suppose I had a friend who insisted that he couldn't kick his crack habit because he was under too much financial pressure, so I agreed to pay his bills for a few months, on condition that he use that time to actually try to quit. Liberal bloggers thought this was a bad idea: my friend had no apparent interest in kicking his crack habit, and thus it seemed pretty likely that I was just throwing my money away. No, I assured them: I have made it clear that my commitment is not open-ended. I've said: it's time for you to perform, and I will judge you now less on your words and more on your performance. I'm not just giving this money blindly; my friend has adopted benchmarks for success, and I plan to hold him to them, though I won't say how.

Now suppose that while I paid my friend's bills, to no one's surprise, his financial problems got better, but he made no effort to stop smoking crack. Liberal bloggers said: well, of course it's good that your friend isn't feeling as much financial pressure, but the fact remains that the whole point of this was to let him kick his crack habit, and not only has he not done that, he hasn't even tried. That would not constitute sticking their fingers in their ears and chanting "La la la la la la la I can't HEAR you!", or refusing to take yes for an answer. It would just be basic common sense.

Nothing like thinking about the war and crack addicts to the tune of a Christmas carol to get you in the spirit.

... Don we now
Our gay apparel.
Fah la la, la la la, la, laa, laa, laaaah.

(Oh geez, now I'm thinking about gay rights too. Nice to see Hiltzoy back, hiding in my head, eating my brain.)

1 Comment:

Pete Chown said...

It's strange how things have gone, isn't it? Political reconciliation is pretty much dead, the Iraqi parliament hasn't managed to agree any compromise between the three groups for months.

On the other hand, there has been some military progress in Iraq. I suspect that, without political progress, the military progress will eventually unravel.

I really don't understand what is going on in Iraq at the moment, though! I'd like to know what the Sunni tribes were promised, that made them switch most of the insurgency off...