11/15/07

Debating the Value of These Debates
By: Mark W Adams


I caught only bits and pieces of the debate live as it unfolded, pretty much missing the last half entirely. I got a chance to read some of the 'sphere's reaction to what happened before I sat down to watch the repeat.

I got the impression that all the fireworks came out in the first half anyway -- and I have a theory as to why.

Two Words: Wolf Blitzer.

No, he's no Tim Russert (thank god) but if you look at the questions he went to at the top of the debate, as opposed to the audience generated questions (that I'm still waiting for as of this writing), Blitzer was setting up the fight.

In essence, he says, "Hey Hillary, they've been coming at you for a week or two -- take your best shot girfriend." Then Wolf looks to Obama, "Barack, dude. Are you gonna take that crap from a girl?" "Senator Edwards, can you summarize why Hillary sucks in less that 90 seconds? . . . Go!"

I don't know how to fix these things, honestly. I'm really committed to watching, learning, interpreting and sharing my thoughts on these events. I'm convinced that the Democratic Primary process will select the next president -- even if Lou Dobbs decides to run. (Cuz there just aren't enough conservative nutjobs out there running as it is.)

But honestly, I'm zoning out. I have no idea why Joe Biden isn't immensely more popular. I have no idea why Chris Dodd is even in the race, what he brings to the table. I had no idea Campbell Brown moved to CNN. I have no idea why Richardson is so damn honest -- cuz if he'd learn to say what everyone wants to hear instead of the truth all the time, he might have a chance. I have no idea why the question America wants to ask Dennis Kucinich was blown off -- "What did you really see in the Arizona sky, and how much peyote had you eaten that day?"

Are the debates that important, or who even wins the post debate spin war and week long pundit analysis afterwards? I think a promising career in politics can end in one of these things, but does winning really matter? I have my doubts. You can "lose," trip up and be buried, but I don't know if you gain ground by winning as much as capitalize on someone else faltering.

Oh, and Obama, dude. Don't do any more of these things. You suck at it almost as much as Richardson.

UPDATE: Seems like I missed the good part of the debate, the part that mattered -- where the candidates answer real questions, fully, from real people. Young Yglesias nails it. The Versailles Press simply must be neutered.

UPDATE TWO: Yes, really. Lou Dobbs. And . . . Yes, I missed that one. The Ghost of Ross Perot and his charts really didn't need to be resurrected.

0 Comments: